This is a business model I have started using in the WordPress projects I do. I try to apply it to other things as well.
I am getting involved in projects with people who are involved in some kind of personal spiritual practice. This indicates to me that there is a good chance that these people share some of my core beliefs.
- They live as if their actions have consequences and they are aware of and care about those consequences.
- They are conscious of their intentions and their intentions are meticulously selected and constantly refined.
- Their intentions go beyond themselves – their work is dedicated to others.
- Their work touches other people – they are sensitive to individual predispositions and preferences.
- They have faith in what they do and in the people with whom they work.
This connects me with people who are caring, sensitive, curious, passionate and trusting.
A Simple Objective
I don’t enjoy doing complex things, so I do simple things. If there are complicated needs I break them down into small things and choose one as a starting point. The rest are set aside for a later time. A project starts when we can embrace a simple and shared objective – something that can be stated in one or two sentences without any technical terms. A good objective brings a smile to everyone’s face and a general feeling of lightness.
There is no project schedule, though due to their simplicity projects are relatively short. Time is not an issue. The most precious resource I allocate to a project is my caring attention. It is a limited resource so I treat it with care. The people I work with naturally recognize this because they do the same in their work. A project receives a limited share of my attention.
I do not have and do not give set fees. Payment is up to the people I work with. I have faith in their perception of value and their ability to translate that into money. Whatever the payment, it is offered and received with a smile and an open heart.
A successful project is an enjoyable project. This is pretty much guaranteed when working with like-hearted people.