I’ve been meaning to write about this book for sometime, but I keep putting off (for some good reasons and for some lesser reasons). But Marianne asked today about a book recommendation and this is what I wanted to recommend … so thank you Marianne for the final push. I can either write a lot about this book or a little … I’m going to go with the short version for now (the intensity of a long version is one of the reasons it hasn’t been written yet).
There are many books that have the same name or carry a similar message “Yoga for Everybody” – so why this one? I haven’t read all the books so I can’t really offer an objective opinion … so I am to do something we are often told not to do: “judging books by their covers”.
This book doesn’t have on its cover:
- An image of a posture that “everybody” most certainly CAN NOT do.
- An image of a sexy blond in tight-fitting clothes performing a posture that very few people can actually do.
- Superficial symbolism that has nothing to do with Yoga.
- Cliche’s and promises of easy or immediate physical or spiritual salvation.
This book does have on it’s cover:
- Images of day-to-day people in unimpressive (almost ridiculous looking :+) postures.
- An honest and informative description of what’s inside – routine practice!
- My teachers name.
- … and though you can’t see it “on the cover”, it comes in spiral-binding and an extended folded cover so you can easily place it in a standing position beside your yoga mat when you actually want to practice what’s inside.
The book is wonderfully aligned with the teachings I have received in person. It describes in sensible and accessible language basic principles of practice. It introduces, from the start, breathing with movement. Postures are described with emphasis on how to make them effective & safe and with variations that everybody can do! The postures are also integrated into sequence practices that are gradually developed throughout the book. The book is filled with excellent images of real people doing real postures that everybody can really do!
You can get Yoga for Every Body on Amazon 🙂