More on this wonder-filled experiment here
My old LG (LM50a) laptop has been completely out of commission for a few months. It took a few hits and in the end the CD drive was slipping out of place (and pushing it in caused the computer to crash) and the power connection was shaky – so the computer was losing power and shutting down (battery is long dead).
I wanted to take it to someone to fix so I can resurrect it as an Ubuntu machine. A few days ago I decided to give it a shot myself. I started by unscrewing the visible screws but quickly hit a wall – so before resorting to violence I did a search and found some tips on how to open the casing. I was elated when I had the computer open AND was able to locate the problem.
As I was staring at it I realized that I needed some kind of map to find my way back to a working computer – so I arranged all the screws in reverse chronological order and that worked out just fine.
The power connector was almost free – the soldering was completely gone. So I borrowed a soldering iron from a neighbor and fixed them.
Then started the journey back: (1) replacing the top cover (and connecting the touch-pad); (2) reconnecting & assembling the screen; (3) reconnecting and replacing the power/controls panel; and (4) finally the keyboard.
Then, with my fingers crossed, I plugged the power in and … it came back on and there I was back with my XP installation.
Next up was a lot of uninstalling, deleting/backing up old files and then defragmenting the drive to prepare it for the Ubuntu installation.
Then came Wubi (Windows Ubuntu Installer), another spectacular example of open-source initiative. It works amazing well and simple – you download an installer from their website and select your preferred language, user interface (I went with Kubuntu in English) – and it does EVERYTHING for you – it partitions the hard drive and installs Ubuntu.When it’s done and you reboot the computer you will be able to choose between Windows XP & Kubuntu.
The download and installation can take some time – so I left it running and missed most of the show. In the morning I found the computer restarted in XP (which remains the default boot operating system) – so I restarted it and… got a messed up graphic display – in which I could make out a progressing progress bar (looked like it was continuing the installation) and I let it continue its work.
When it was finished, another restart and … YEAH!! it worked. My laptop has been resurrected and is now running Kubuntu.
I still need to figure out how I will be using and synchronizing it with my main PC and stuff on my Ubuntu storage server … but hey – I’ve got my laptop back
Some more useful links I found as I was searching around and considering my options:
- Installing a dual-boot with Windows without partitioning (with WUBI)
- How to install Ubuntu Linux from USB stick (in case you don’t have a CD drive)
- Firewall GUI (Linux Kernel has built in firewall core capabilities, don’t know yet if I need to mess with them, but this may be useful).
- Avast has a LINUX Hme edition (free) antivirus (not really needed on Linux, but may come in handy when you get/pass stuff to and from Windows and other operating systems, to install download the DEB file package and then, when it’s on your computer, right-click and choose installation option
- @ronenk רימון זה נפלא, פומלה שייכת למשפחת האשכולית שלדעתי בכלל צריכה להשתייך למשפחת הרעלים… איחסה פיכסה in reply to ronenk #
- sometimes enlightenment requires a good beating What is the essence of Buddhism? http://twurl.nl/a1gdzi #
- so true: http://twurl.nl/nxrh71 by @BreatheDreamGo #
- "I say it clearly as it is — to understand or not to understand, both are mistaken (views)." Rinzai #
- this morning's coffee included a reading of Dr. Seuss Horton Hears a Who great stuff #
- over 100 women registered with us http://www.myfem.org – fertility awareness application for women available in 5 languages… woohoo! #
- gross to subtle – a roadmap for the various tools of #Yoga: http://twurl.nl/vzycvo #
- looking at my images http://twurl.nl/onf07s I feel more at peace with them then with my words http://twurl.nl/ixfxvl #
- every time I feel an urge to use terms or metaphors from Yoga, is an opportunity to revisit and expand my relationship with them #
- feels like a great tool: http://www.mockflow.com – Wireframes for software and web projects. thanks2 @ronenk #
- @JangalaRetreat thank you Kevin – welcome back a little bird whispered to me that there are more images to see…. in reply to JangalaRetreat #
- RT beautiful, left me wanting more, is that Phi in the images? @JangalaRetreat:more images now on the website http://www.jangalaretreat.com #
- RT really looking forward to teaching there @JangalaRetreat: more images now on the website http://www.jangalaretreat.com #
- 10:10 good day to everyyone #
- what do you do when you lose motivation? http://twurl.nl/ptgy8z #
- 23:24 but never a 25… good night all! #
- commentary on "banks didn't pay premiums to FDIC" http://twurl.nl/vjyb3l thanks @raymondpirouz for the heads-up #
- commentary (link corrected) on "banks didn't pay premiums to FDIC" http://twurl.nl/njoxgw thanks @raymondpirouz for the heads-up #
- took apart old LG laptop, found loose power conn. need a souldering iron to reconnect it and all should work fine, then ubuntu time again #
- @acip thanku, do you know if a wubi http://twurl.nl/ljtzzy installation is OK? CD drive is not working,I hope to piggyback on installed XP in reply to acip #
- blue sky, four birds, a rising moon and no battery: http://twurl.nl/hatayo #
- the crown jewel of #Pranayama techniques – Nadi Sodhana: http://twurl.nl/u88v1p #yoga #breath #
- wamted: WordPress developers to transform WordPress into Facebook http://twurl.nl/tmfqxh (please retweet) #
- @adjacobson I'd love 2hear ur feelings: http://www.sweetclarity.com many images created within live performance (instead of documenting it!) in reply to adjacobson #
- @KathySierra memorable performance moments are when a performer is completely present, they are rare and inspiring in reply to KathySierra #
- הזדמנות נפלאה לאנשים שרוצים לחוות ולחקור יצירה באמצעות תנועה וגוף עם שחר – חבר ויוצר מדהים: http://twurl.nl/5xpr88 יום פתוח למתעניינים #
- showed this to someone today & well wanted to share it some more – a rare dance experience: http://twurl.nl/zkvr7w #
- RT we need to let enlightenment consume us @bluedot_: we cannot consume our way to enlightenment #
Powered by Twitter Tools