“They get too close to the horn with the mikes and don’t give the sound time to travel as they should. Consequently, they don’t get enough of the real timbre and they miss the whole body of the sound. They get the inside of it but not the outside as well.”
John Coltrane

Coltrane - The Story of a Sound

A Lousy but Illustrated Samasthiti


I haven’t been writing much over the last few days and probably will be writing less in the coming days (if not beyond that) because I am caught up in an experiment. I though to write a few words about the experiment.

About two weeks ago I began playing with an idea on how to construct on-screen Yoga asana sequences on screen. It worked – you can see a demo and explanation of it here. It uses a relatively small Javascript to replace written asana names in an HTML document with correlated images.  I started using that to document one of my practice sequences (I really should complete the practice I started on – it’s almost complete) – and as I was doing that I began to push the idea further – because I still wasn’t satisfied with the process and the result.

Now I am playing around with some more complex Javascript. I have created a method of describing a two dimensional posture  using anatomical constructs such as limbs, joints and articulations. I spent the last week staring at stick figures and thinking of a way to transform them into code and then writing up some theoretical code based on my conclusions. Tonight I completed a first round of coding – I have gone from theory to a visual result – a messed up Samasthiti:

It’s a completely messed up visual result but it has a few great things going for it: (1) it exists; (2) there is a head; (3) there are 14 limbs (which is the number I was planning for). I hope over the next few days to debug and review some of the calculations that led to this result and to achieve a much better one (granted this result should be pretty easy to top).

If/when this works it will be possible to easily:

  • Create endless variations of two-dimensional postures by simply dragging joints around on the screen.
  • Build a generic quality online asana library that teachers and students can easily tailor for specific needs.
  • Construct practice sequences that can be illustrated for both on screen and printing resolutions.
  • Enable practitioners to maintain a log of their evolving practices.
  • Enable teachers to create and share online sample practices.
  • and much more …

There are still many steps to take until this becomes something usable, but for now a messed up samasthiti is satisfying progress for me 🙂

This entry was posted in Yoga, Yoga & I. You are welcome to read 1 comment and to add yours

One Trackback

  • By A Good and Illustrated Samasthiti | iamronen on August 8, 2010 at 9:44 pm

    […] couple of miscalculations that were surprisingly quickly and easily corrected transformed yesterdays lousy samasthiti into todays perfectly illustrated […]

Leave a Reply